Rope Access Offshore Nigeria

Rate this topic

Its for Total but it was some agency cant remeber the name but nocked it back they wouldnt pay the money a wanted

so fxxk em.

greedy sand-dancin' b****** !

good job they never let you on anyway, the place would have been over-run with geordies within a week!!!!

greedy sand-dancin' b****** !

good job they never let you on anyway, the place would have been over-run with geordies within a week!!!!

Well theres no need in that mate

A dont know that many ndt rope access geordies

Theres a fair few lazy smoggie b******s about tho!

To be honest I'm quite glad you didn't take the job; a good diver mate of mine was taken hostage by MEND whilst on a supply boat out to a rig last September, and is still being held.

Nigeria may pay decently (well it does for divers at least, I was offered £450/day last summer) but it's just not worth the risk; one well known company even operates a 'kidnap allowance' of $200/day - tells you just how common that sort of thing is.

• 4 months later...

yeah i know a few people out there.it was built last year in korea so its pretty new.apparently they are taken care of as soon as they land and all the way to the fpso.i was called about some work there as well,turned them down flat.not choosy or anything,i just don't feel the need to go to nigeria.the money offered then and what is being offered now makes it all seem so worthwhile but then again,its a decision you have to make and live with.

Anyone thinking off coming out to Nigeria,be carefull,as i arrived a few days ago and there is a increase in Militant activities,currently blowing up lines etc,no hassle offshore at present,mainly swamp areas they are concentrating on as its easier to hide!!!!

Non essential personnell are being told to stay home!!!!

• Root Admin

Thanks for the heads up biscuit. We're also hearing reports of hassle in Togo and Benin on the Nigerian pipeline project - riot police were called out the other day to quell strike action by locals seeking increased pay.

• 3 weeks later...

So far the situation out here is much the same,no further agro from the militants in the Chevron swamp areas hitting lines etc,but there was smoke spotted from the barge a couple of days ago,which was a Shell jacket i am told.........but no one is saying who or what is happening at Shell!!!

Offshore at present is OK,but no one knows how things will pan out!

Also just informed a stiff was brought in to the med centre today,apparently its a member of the security force,but like every one keeps saying........what body,i see nothing!!!!

Plus i looked at a few pics of a big platform out here which caught fire prior to me coming out,and another hush hush incident as they claimed it was a small fire,but if it was i would hate to see a big one out here!!!!

All non essential personell were flown out 2 weeks ago,so that they could down grade the security risk!!!

Just make sure you know the score before coming out to Nigeria!