Rate this topic

• Root Admin

Hi All..!

We're about to get to the final stages of constructing our new on-line rope access log book and need your feedback - there's been numerous threads on here about this topic over the years, one of them is here:

With no realistic alternative we've decided to press ahead and create this for all of our 17,000+ users.

What we have at present, is a system tied into everyone's personnel dashboard, once logged in, the following options will be available:

• Date Range of the job
  • Hours logged for the date range
  • Company worked for
  • Job Location
  • Job category
  • Brief Job Description / Type of Work
  • Height of the workplace in metres
  • Supervisors name and IRATA number
  • Backup to MS Excel
  • Backup to MS Word
  • Back up to Comma separated values (CSV)

Once the record is created, it will be editable in future.

Optional input will be:

• Hourly salary for the job (in your currency of choice)

We need some feedback from you guys and gals out there. We're making a fair IT investment in this so want to get the very best out of it that we can, if you have the time we'd like to hear from you so please comment below and let us know if there are any features you would specifically like to see added. If they are possible we'll add them either now or in the near future during our usual incremental updates to all systems..

There will only be two categories: items that are mandatory and items that are optional - the only other limit is your imagination!

Your thoughts are much appreciated..

Cheers, it's about time there was an online facility to back up your logbook hours rather than just scanning or photocopying your logbook.

Good to see Rigg-Access providing another great service to all the technicians out there, when they seem to lack support from elsewhere within the industry.

That sounds great!

-First thing that comes to mind is a field where you can put in the people you've worked with and then link those people together. In the end a future contractor could look up people from a certain job when he liked the results.

-Google maps overlay of all the jobs you worked at. I know some guys who would span the globe ;-)

This is great work and of benefit to all irata rat's!

Cheers, it's about time there was an online facility to back up your logbook hours rather than just scanning or photocopying your logbook.

Good to see Rigg-Access providing another great service to all the technicians out there, when they seem to lack support from elsewhere within the industry.

Umm, that's not wrong! It seems that IRATA have had their holiday in Las Vagas!!! (Alright for some!), sent out a flyer for Assessors, Trainers and L3s (but I'm still informing L3s about it) about TACs!!!!!! (If you know what TACs are and what its about??? Please tell me or others!!!) Which are being run in the north of the country! Which is good if your an Offshore worker? But no bloody good if down South!!

Looking on there website regularly? With little or no updates! For anyone! Unless your a member company?? But even then! There does not seem to be anything coming down to the rank and file?

Anyone from the IRATA staff on Rigg Access! Please let use know what's happening.

Would be nice to hear from you???

As for the update that Tom is emplenting, I do hope it works well!

PS: Is this having a link to IRATA??

Kev

• Root Admin

Hi Kev

we'll be speaking to IRATA in due course, also SPRAT et al.

To be honest, it's something we've been very interested in doing for a number of years now so it was only a matter of time before we released something like this into the wild, regardless of which trade association was involved. We'd offer full support to IRATA if they'd like to link via API to our systems but I doubt they'd have the time or the resources to implement it. We've offered similar services (all free of charge) a few times in the past but it's sometimes difficult to get any decisive action.

• Root Admin

Wilki,

It will be standard on the website only until we iron out bugs, it will still therefore be viewable on all devices through their native standard web browsers. It's horrendously expensive getting IOS apps out there so we have to iron out the wrinkles. We're soon to be releasing the Android version of the latest IOS app (which has just been completely rewritten). Eventually the log book will be implemented in all devices app stores for all versions of tablets / mobile devices etc as part of the incremental upgrades we have planned.

Umm, that's not wrong! It seems that IRATA have had their holiday in Las Vagas!!! (Alright for some!), sent out a flyer for Assessors, Trainers and L3s (but I'm still informing L3s about it) about TACs!!!!!! (If you know what TACs are and what its about??? Please tell me or others!!!) Which are being run in the north of the country! Which is good if your an Offshore worker? But no bloody good if down South!!

Looking on there website regularly? With little or no updates! For anyone! Unless your a member company?? But even then! There does not seem to be anything coming down to the rank and file?

Anyone from the IRATA staff on Rigg Access! Please let use know what's happening.

Would be nice to hear from you???

As for the update that Tom is emplenting, I do hope it works well!

PS: Is this having a link to IRATA??

Kev

TACS is Technician Assessment & Certification Scheme, and there are various intro courses in early 2014 which Assessors and Trainers must attend, while all Level 3s were sent an e mail invite to sign up but is not mandatory for them. These courses are very limited in number and seemed to fill up real quick. Contrary to the above there are only 2 dates set in Scotland, so not really offshore biased at all. I tried to get a place on the Dunbar day but it was already full. Info here http://irata.associationhouse.org.uk/default.php?cmd=213

Edited by waterat

Hi Waterat,

Thanks for the reply, but it still does not hide the fact that there is one course in the south!!! (For 16! At IRATA HQ) assessors only! One would presume??

There is a large batch of 3s in the South-West-East, who can't make it up to Stafford!

So my comment stands at the moment! Courses being run are more suitable for RATs north of Birmingham??

And with limited places on the courses 130 -/+ for a trade that is in the Thousands, it will be interesting to see/hear if the info from TACs is given to the guys and girls on the coal face and not when they update your upgrade their career choice, and if they do it before the courses! That's a 3 year wait! On information that would only be good for the trade overall.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm a L3 with over 12 years experience as L1, L2 and L3 and I'm looking to become a Trainer with time! But at all levels I have seen some silly things when working on the ropes from 1s, 2s and 3s!!??!! So the quicker the info is disseminated the better? Rather than wait to redo your reval in 3 years!!!

If you live in the UK! 2 choices! Offshore! Or Onshore where most of the work is in or around London!!! No venues for the RATs "down south" "Yet!!"

If you live in the UK! 2 choices! Offshore! Or Onshore where most of the work is in or around London!!! No venues for the RATs "down south" "Yet!!"

I think you may need to get out a bit more if you think most of the onshore work is in or around London, other Cities do have high buildings too and even the odd Town up North these days!. Never mind all the Geotechnical work undertaken on steep cliffs and railway/road cuttings which London is not famed for I think.

Then there is all the rope access work undertaken at the Power Stations, Refineries and major industrial sites throughout the UK, as well as the bridges, both rail and road. Not sure if I have seen many onshore windfarms in London either, mobile phones do exist North of Watford and maintenance, installation and inspection are often done on these by rope access.

The majority of my onshore rope access career (twice yours) thankfully has not taken me into London very often and when it has it was due to a shortage of local companies or lads, I think demographically the majority of rope access technicians still live well away from the bright lights of London.

Looking at the locations of the courses Ashford and Great Yarnmouth are probably as close to London as my nearest 2 venues would be to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Root Admin

Just a quick note to remind everyone this service is now live, we emailed everyone in the personnel database to let them know. We've been getting great feedback so far so that's great.

We're now working on the new mobile site which will include the Rope Access logbook, you will then be able to input your hours directly from the worksite (unless of course you are offshore etc.!). If you haven't tried it yet please log into your account and select the 'rope access logbook' tab...

http://www.rigg-access.com/personnel/personneldashboard.asp

• 3 weeks later...

So I used it to log my hours, but have hit an impasse. In the list of companies that the job was done under, I couldn't find the company that I worked with so it wouldn't let me record the hours. is there a way to remove the "mandatory field" from that section? We could either write down the company name ourselves in the last box or put in a new box/selection for unlisted companies.

Either way, useful thing!

DA

p.s. I'd also put in a recommendation for photo backups of the logs as well. Easy to do with a cellphone camera nowadays.

• Root Admin

We have to have that list, there's a bit next to it that says if the company is not listed we will add it for you - let Terri in admin know and she will sort it all out for you:

www.rigg-access.com/contact.asp

Photo uploading is something we are looking into and will possibly make it into a future upgrade, thanks for the feedback!