Rescue From Wind Turbine

Question

11 answers to this question

Hello, I'm novice in IRATA. Prompt, please, is it allowed in IRATA to use 2 descenders at the same time without belaying device as it was at the end of this video? or there was a third rope out of a frame? or it's allowed at rescue only?

currently allot of lads are getting Siemens audited for turbine work and they are teaching this maneuver the reason for the 2 descender s (in my own opinion and this is up for the challenge on other theory's) is that once the casualty is off his croll there is much stretch in the casualty's working line. if the rescuers working line was to break they would fall a good distance with the weight and stretch, also there is a risk of the rescuers back up to fly up and lock out once the weight has been transferred, the 2nd id removes this hazard and also shares the weight across both lines.

some training centers also teach using 2 id's, i cant say for IRATA but I dont see why not. and there was no extra lines.

hope this helps in any way!!!

Edited by RopeAccessJohn

Hello RopeAccessJohn

Yeh 2 ID's is a common way to rescue now, well 2 Id's or your descenders of choice, but like you mentioned its a great way of limiting the issue of rope stretch in the backup line in the event of mainline failure, very important on that type of work when you have lots of rope above to, so lots of stretch,

I though your video was good also buddy, sure the wolves could pick the bones out of it, there are a few things i would do differently but hey thats rope access and the aim was acheived in a timly manner and you didnt struggle an make it look difficult so well done

unfortunately Cdavies it was a video online i cant take the credit lol.... with the current intake of lvl 3's for wind turbines i thought i would share just as a extra learning .......

Sergey yes there is more possibility of locking out the descender but it is very easy to control and i would suggest to have a go if u can.....

RopeAccessJohn, it is not idly curiosity. Several years ago (i'm novice in irata but not in rope access industry) was such a case.
I was descending at 2 descenders (stop+gri-gri) and a line with gri-gri had failed. Instinctively I had pressed more strongly the stop's handle, and then was an uncontrolled descent from 4 meter height (was luck that it was almost near ground). So in a case in the video it also can be some suprises.
ps: sorry for my english, but I hope that it will be understandable enough

Hello Sergey

Thanks for the post, but there lies the problem for you, 2 x descenders of totally incompatability! I would suggest that you try two identical types such as ID's and have a go again.

Dont get me wrong we are trying to protect against something that shouldnt happen (main line failure) so we can sort that one out easily with a proper setup of the rigging, and a risk assessment of edge hazards etc.....but of course we can account for the rogue russian missile hitting a plane and then your ropes..oops but if you do your bit then the mainline failure is unlikely.

So it for me more about greater control on a long rope close to the deck! reducing that bounce etc, debate still out over whether you need a friction krab now but sure someone has a though on that.

Hello Chris,

well,I suppose, that if we use 2 stops(gri-gri, rigs etc) the result will be same, because they don't have antipanic function. But id have it so it's safely enough to use 2 id. (I never had worked with id so I didn't know about the antipanic function). Correct?

I would say that Stops are concidered no longer the best choice as a descender as they creep and can easily be over ridden (go in to go mode if squeezed) and the gri gri is NOT realy a descender for inductrial use, fine for some applications but not as a descender!

Rigs, they are fine but for Expert users only, as they have no anti panic etc, So IDs are great, there are a few other typs that are also good, i just havent tried many that are as good.

yeah, thanks Chris!
Absolutely agree that Id's is a best choice, but also it costs more. I understand that gri-gri isn't a industrial RA descender and Stop also isn't perfect for this purpose, but we have what we have. In Ukraine salary is MUCH lower then in Europe so it's not so easy to buy good device. For example a year ago a salary was approximately 70-90 USD per day, and it was possible to buy some good stuff, but with this military situation in east of Ukraine this year the salary was 20-40USD per day. May be if I find a job in other country I will buy Id's, but now, as I said, we have what we have)))