Average Rope Access Salary in New Zealand

Rate this topic

hey guys

My wife and I are looking forward to immigrate to New Zealand and while she is studying at Massey university in Palmerston North i want to work as a rope access operator there ( or some other nearby places )  , I'm getting my IRATA level 1 certification in a few days and have many related work experiences because i am a pro rock/big wall climber and know the main rules.

is there any differences between IRANNZ and IRATA there ? can i work with my IRATA level 1 certification there ?

since we are checking our life expenses there, would you please tell me if i have a hypothetical job as a leve 1 IRATA operator under the work visa how much my average salary per hour would be in nzd$ ? and how many hours can i work per week ? how much is the tax ?

thank you so much and have a nice safe day.
  • Root Admin

Welcome to the forum!

Gaining an IRATA Level 1 certificate will do you better in the long run as it means you can work anywhere on the planet with it - its accepted in NZ. Salary rates will depend entirely on what you can bring to the table, you don't mention what marketable skills you have so your salary could vary widely - rock / wall climbing skills aren't really relevant as that's not how the company makes its money out of you.

Tax rates are:

33% from $70,000

30%: $48,001 to $70,000

17.5%: $14,001 to $48,000

10.5%: $0 to $14,000

Working hours regulation is about the same as most other places, a standard 40 hour working week is in place with optional overtime on top of that. Rope Access operating companies will require a degree of flexibility due to the nature of the job so there will often be a lot more hours available if you need / want them.

19 hours ago, admin said:

Welcome to the forum!

Gaining an IRATA Level 1 certificate will do you better in the long run as it means you can work anywhere on the planet with it - its accepted in NZ. Salary rates will depend entirely on what you can bring to the table, you don't mention what marketable skills you have so your salary could vary widely - rock / wall climbing skills aren't really relevant as that's not how the company makes its money out of you.

Tax rates are:

33% from $70,000

30%: $48,001 to $70,000

17.5%: $14,001 to $48,000

10.5%: $0 to $14,000

Working hours regulation is about the same as most other places, a standard 40 hour working week is in place with optional overtime on top of that. Rope Access operating companies will require a degree of flexibility due to the nature of the job so there will often be a lot more hours available if you need / want them.

thank you so much the information about the tax and working hours was so helpful.

i can do painting , window cleaning , banner installation, amateur welding.

do i have to get a certification for these ? or it works since i can perform the job ?

what kind of marketable skills would you suggest and will pay up better in NZ ?

thank you dear Admin  

• Root Admin

Painting, window cleaning and banner installs will get you by, for welding the majority of jobs require certification. Its like any career, the more certification you have, the more you will get paid and the more work you will get.

We have live data for all premium account holders that shows exactly what skills are being searched for in each location, New Zealand info is here:

https://www.rigg-access.com/admin/personnel/regional-skills-demand.asp?Country=New%2BZealand&submit=Change+Region

Live salary rates are available here:

https://www.rigg-access.com/admin/personnel/rope-access-salary-rates.asp?c=NZD+%24

All the info from above is live in real-time and is unavailable anywhere else, it will be invaluable to you when negotiating your rate with any future employer...

4 hours ago, admin said:

Painting, window cleaning and banner installs will get you by, for welding the majority of jobs require certification. Its like any career, the more certification you have, the more you will get paid and the more work you will get.

We have live data for all premium account holders that shows exactly what skills are being searched for in each location, New Zealand info is here:

https://www.rigg-access.com/admin/personnel/regional-skills-demand.asp?Country=New%2BZealand&submit=Change+Region

https://www.rigg-access.com/admin/personnel/rope-access-salary-rates.asp?c=NZD+%24

All the info from above is live in real-time and is unavailable anywhere else, it will be invaluable to you when negotiating your rate with any future employer...

thank you.

it seems like i dont have the access to the mentioned links. its says personnel login. i cant emter there with my user name, and the sign up feature is not working.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2017 at 6:11 PM, admin said:

Dear admin, 

I am trying to see the information at the givin link but I got the message down below. I made a personal account as mentioned. Could you please help me out.

You have an Empty Ticket Vault.!

Your ticket vault is empty, please add some certificates CLICK HERE
  • Root Admin

What does the rest of the page say? The section you posted is a notification for no ticket vault items and goes away after you upload something to your ticket vault....

17 hours ago, admin said:

What does the rest of the page say? The section you posted is a notification for no ticket vault items and goes away after you upload something to your ticket vault....

On 1/16/2017 at 10:47 PM, admin said:

Ah, apologies. I presumed you already had a personnel account, you can create a free one here:

https://www.rigg-access.com/personnel/newuser.asp

I think I says that you have to upgrade to a paid plan? I presumed from the post above that I only needed a free account to have a look at the average rates.

do I need to pay for a subscription to see the information?

On 6/20/2018 at 3:40 PM, admin said:

Can you maybe explain how it works? Or mention the rates in this topic?

• Root Admin

The salary tool is the only tool of its type. This shows real-time data based on anonymous data from the Rope Access Logbook, these are aggregated and anonymised every 2 hours - more records mean greater accuracy. The records are taken from all countries where Rope Access is carried out. Additional supplemental information is added whenever we get the information supplied via live job postings, or directly supplied by employing companies.

Technicians can also see their own average rates (in green, below the rates shown). They can then easily see if they are getting the going rate for each work category they are listed in. It basically shows if you are getting ripped off or not.... This helps a lot when negotiating pay rates with a potential employer and also gives you something to aim for when looking for training. Example, say you fancy a rigging course, it'd be nice to find out what rates are paid for that skillset before forking out all that hard earned money for a course, you can do the same to any discipline in Rope Access.