Time served arborist looking for career change.

Rate this topic

Hi all, 

I've been climbing trees now for six years and while I love the job it is starting to get repetitive so earlier this year I took and passed my level 1. A L3 friend of mine said to me that geo work would be the way to go but so far I've found it quite a tough nut to crack with regards to getting sponsorship for a medical, drug/alcohol screening test for the PTS course. I appreciate that we're in the midst of a pandemic currently so things are more difficult, I'm posting this largely to reach out and see if anyone knows of companies willing to sponsor at this point in time? I'm north west UK based but I'm more than willing to travel to get some hours in and I'm not afraid of a bit of graft. 

If anyone has any tips I'd be hugely grateful, or even any advice as to what a L1 can do if they have no prior trade to offer as I'd be willing to consider other avenues as well. 

Cheers! 

• Root Admin

As you know you've hit the market for this at the wrong time, there's a glut of PTS qualified techs in the workpool right now. It may be worth your while trying for rope access jobs in a different discipline? Building maintenance etc. That way you'd be able to earn cash whilst waiting for your geotechnical break...

• Root Admin

It is, you have basic transferable skills. ie using power tools at height etc. There are plenty lower skilled jobs that can be combined with a rope access ticket - only downside is you have a lot of competition at the lower skill levels so it's not a position you want to be holding for too long - they key to it (like any career) is continuous training and personal development.