Entry level blade repair/IRATA L1

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

My name is James and I'm new to the forum.

I'm 31 years old and very interested in getting into the renewables sector, specifically wind energy and blade repair. I'm aware this question has probably been asked hundreds of times on here, but I can't find much recent information.

I gather the Siemens 3-week 'Basic Blade B' course in Denmark is the best option if I want to get into blade repair. How does this course compare to the courses offered by Altitec, Maersk and Siemens in the UK? Is it more transferable across different companies, specifications and countries?

If I did go with the UK based courses, would it be a case of just having all the gear but no idea?

I am serious about this and want to be employable after any training I undertake. I understand it would be difficult to just walk into any job because I need experience and years under my belt, but with the Danish course would I have a better chance?

Alternatively, would it be more useful and cheaper to get certified in IRATA L1 and start from the ground up, with a view to training in blade repair further down the line?

I currently work in Finance and sit behind a desk every day, so I'll be completely honest and say I have no experience or transferable skills whatsoever, but I'm very willing, enthusiastic and physically fit.

Even with any certificates, how far is this lack in skills and experience likely to set me back in finding a job?

I appreciate your responses.

• Root Admin

Welcome to the forum..!

Your idea about getting your IRATA L1 then transitioning up has a better chance of success, it will also offer a means to generate an income that's not specifically wind turbine based, thereby not putting all of your eggs in one basket. The blade repair course is a good one, but as it says on the tin 'basic' and as such, competition for jobs at that level is high. The Rope Access ticket will help you make some money along the way as you transition into your new career.

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Welcome to the forum..!

Your idea about getting your IRATA L1 then transitioning up has a better chance of success, it will also offer a means to generate an income that's not specifically wind turbine based, thereby not putting all of your eggs in one basket. The blade repair course is a good one, but as it says on the tin 'basic' and as such, competition for jobs at that level is high. The Rope Access ticket will help you make some money along the way as you transition into your new career.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've read the same advice on a lot of posts, so it seems like this is the way to go about things. 

Again however, it's all well and good paying money to get certified, but without experience and skills under my belt, will I be essentially unemployable?

Do I need to look into abseiling, rock-climbing, window cleaning etc on the side in order to make myself more employable?

Are rope access jobs numerous?

Apologies for all the questions, and appreciate a lot of these have been answered, but it helps to ask and receive answers specific to your own question lol.

Thanks again

• Root Admin

You'll find it way easier to find lower level Rope Access work then build yourself up from there. Theres a lot of chances in Rope Access geotechnical work and building maintenance etc. Its lower paid, more competition but easier to find work. You'll soon find after coming out of your blade care course you'll be competing with fibreglass guys that have been using that medium to repair stuff for years, they'll have a natural advantage over you.

As with any career change, you can't short cut your way to a high paying job - you'll need to build up at it, add to your personal networks and contact lists, prove yourself to employers (regardless of what job it actually is) then you'll slowly find doors unlocking for you once you become a known quantity.